MasterPlan has been providing strategic, master planning, concept development, assessment, and environmental advice to Robe Golf Club Incorporated (Robe Golf Club) for the past five years in relation to the redevelopment of the Robe Golf Course.
The Robe golf course is located on the south western edge of Robe Township in the South East of South Australia and is currently a 12 hole course. Robe Golf Club have had a vision to expand the golf course to an 18 hole course to provide improved recreational facilities to the local community and as a golf destination for tourists. In 2011 the Club purchased additional land and has actively been pursuing options for the expansion of the golf course since that time. The location of the existing and proposed golf course is challenging, as it contains areas of native vegetation and coastal dunes and is adjoining existing residential, industrial and other recreational facilities.
Working closely with the District Council of Robe; a staged approach to the expansion of the golf course has been developed, which has involved:
– Identification of key opportunities and constraints
– Identification of land that was surplus to future golf course requirements. This land which adjoined residential properties within Robe Township was rezoned and is now being developed in a staged manner for residential purposes.
– Preparation of land division concept plans for the residential area
– Preparation of concept plans for the future development of the golf course with the assistance of a specialist golf course architect
– Liaison with Council and State Government regarding the rezoning of land to facilitate the expansion of the golf course
– Liaison with the Native Vegetation Assessment Panel, following the preparation of a specialist environmental assessment report, regarding clearance and significant environmental benefits of native vegetation
Sharing the vision of Robe Golf Club, MasterPlan has been able to facilitate a residential development on surplus land; develop a concept plan for the golf course expansion and achieve approval for native vegetation clearance. In granting consent for the clearance of vegetation for the golf course expansion, the Native Vegetation Assessment Panel (NVAP) noted that the work and commitment from Robe Golf Club is an excellent example of how the community, tourism and government can work together to manage sensitive environments for a good outcome. NVAP recognised that it is possible to have development and an environmental outcome that will provide regional economic growth for the area and the community for years to come.
In conjunction with the District Council of Robe, Robe Golf Club and MasterPlan are currently working towards rezoning the land to facilitate an application for the development of the additional golf course holes. In addition to an expanded golf course, the proposal will create residential and tourism development integrated with the golf course.